Thursday, September 13, 2007

Are we speaking the same language?

I think Mwange (MIHV’s Mubende driver) and I are both speaking English, but sometimes it’s hard to tell.

Earlier today I called him and said he did not need to pick me up, I would walk. He arrived a few minutes later.

Then this afternoon, as we arrived at the apartment complex several of the staff live at, we had another meaningful conversation:

Sarah - “How long have you lived here?”

Mwange – “Oh he’s just opening the gate.”

(I look confused.)

Mwange - “Wait what were you asking?”

Sarah – “Oh, I wanted to know how.... long .... you .... have.... lived .... here?”

Mwange – “Ooooooh. About three hours.”

1 comment:

Owl said...

Accent?


It's amazing how sometimes being able to speak English makes it harder because you think you should be able to communicate so you stop relying on body language so much, only it turns out that there are all sorts of unseen communication problems.